Silver (Mercury) Filling Removal
Silver fillings are called amalgams and contain mercury. We follow the IAOMT (International Academy of Oral Medicine & Toxicology) protocol for removing amalgam fillings, if a patient has been found to be mercury-toxic. Some of the precautions we take:
- A rubber dam (a sheet of rubber) to isolate the other teeth and to prevent the amalgam from going down the patient’s throat.
- A super strong dry suction to ensure vapors are eliminated and exit the building.
- Charcoal to absorb the amalgam dust.
We always ask that the patient return to their healthcare professional after the amalgam fillings are replaced, and to follow their Doctor’s instructions in order to detoxify the mercury.
A body that is mineral & sulfur deficient can’t detox mercury. It hangs on to the mercury rather than letting go. Having sufficient sulfur and minerals in the body is essential to detoxing mercury. Please see below for our recommendations.
General suggestions prior to mercury removal:
- No vitamin C – 2 days before dental appt
- Take all regularly schedule meds, including blood pressure medication
- Eat a good meal before your appointment
- May need up to 4 hours for appointment – please plan accordingly
Recommended supplements to take:
- Msm – 1000/2000 mg per day
- Vitamin C – 1000 mg
Recommended foods high in sulphur:
- green leafy vegetables
- See your doctor for detox & chelation
- Consider doing colonic
- Consider getting vitamin C IV (intravenous)
Testimonials from Patients